Liverpool stun Chelsea at the Bridge to go above Arsenal

by Michael Somerville

Sunday, November 20th, 2011

Chelsea vs Liverpool 16.00. 20/11/2011

Glen Johnson’s struck a late winner at Stamford Bridge as Liverpool offered fresh hope to qualify for the Champions League.

Chelsea’s dismal Premier League run under manager Andre-Villas-Boas continued- they have lost three of their last four games in the league.

The home side dominated possession in the first 20 minutes, keeping the ball efficiently. Liverpool did offer a patchy counter-attacking threat through the South American duo of Luis Suarez and Maxi Rodriguez.

John Obi Mikel hit a sizzling drive after 10 minutes that just went over the bar, the first of only two chances for Chelsea in the first half.

Both teams were robust in midfield and the Brazilian Lucas provided robust resistance on Rameies and picked up a yellow card for his challenge on fellow countryman David Luiz.

Chelsea’s defence were playing a high line and were punished when Petr Cech played a dangerous ball out to Mikel.

The midfielder was quickly robbed by Craig Bellamy who sliced through and played a one-two with Suarez who gifted a chance for Maxi Rodriguez.

The Argentinian made no mistake and slotted past Cech from 4 yards out on the half hour mark.

A subdued Stamford Bridge became even quieter.

Sky Sports were convinced that Didier Drogba had scored from a direct free kick when he shot flashed passed Pepe Reina, but the ball eluded the net.

Chelsea came out well after the break when Lampard and Mata fed Didier Drogba but the Ivorian struck over the bar from 12 yards out.
Daniel Sturridge came on for the ineffectual Mikel at half time and had an instant impact, bundling home his sixth goal of the season from Malouda’s cross-shot.

David Luiz could have added a second a minute later but was thwarted by a fantastic Reina save from 6 yards out.

Chelsea’s attacking impetus was working and the West Londoners were beginning to look dangerous in the final third.

Stamford Bridge was noticeably louder.

From what had been a physical midfield battle was becoming a pacier affair in the crisp London air.

However, with five minutes to play, full back Glen Johnson picked up a cross field pass and skipped past Ashley Cole and drilled in a low shot into the bottom left hand corner.

John Terry was left floundering yet again, which is becoming an all too bad habit of his.

Liverpool clearly wanted the win more and deserved to grab all three points at the end of a hard fought game.

Be Sociable, Share!

Previous post:

Next post: